Had the fortune to attend a taping of The Hour here in Vantacular (it's the job) and was excited to see that one of the guests for this evening was Matthew Good, whose Beautiful Midnight (with the Matthew Good Band) was on heavy rotation in my car circa 1999-2001. Love that album.
Matt Good is also a fairly prolific blogger and political commentator with a nifty website. I used to read the previous incarnation of his website several years ago and I remember being quite taken with his politics and his writing skill.
Today on the show, he discussed his recent diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I find it very heartening and encouraging any time a public figure 'comes out' about this type of illness. We've still a long way to go as a society regarding the destigmatization of mental illness, and I think that every public face helps.
And I also know from experience how important it is for a sufferer of mental illness to realize they're not alone, trite or cliched as that may sound.
Annie Wenstrup, The Museum of Unnatural Histories
-
1997:
Breaking sounds like a glacier
calving. Like ice sheets crashing
onto saves. A wave is water
oscillating between the moon’s pull
and the sea...
16 hours ago

1 comment:
i saw that interview; it was actually pretty interesting (not that i expected it to be anything else); too short, though; would have liked to have heard more from him; his mother handing him a beer in the shower? yipes. and great, all at the same time.
neat you were there;
alberta rob
Post a Comment