Sunday, January 20, 2008

eulogized


Only connect. Only family. Only love. Only – put your best face forward. Only dance. Only know your roots. Only a history. Only how you got here, who you talked to, what they said. Only the length of Saskatchewan, Only one foot in front of the other. Only a place for everything and everything in a place. Only do the work that needs to be done Only community. Only celebrate. Only music and laughter. Only brothers and sisters. Only nieces and nephews. Only chop beets. Only wash windows. Only us chickens. Only the cousins. Only their dog slept in our manger. Only tell the stories that need to be told. Only serve. Only pray. Only a coffee and a cigarette. Only pay attention. Only listen. Only I wish I could carry your suffering. Only presence. Only grace. Only buttons. Only bobby pins and hot rollers. Only clean lines. Only how can I help? Only grace, strength, beauty. Only polka. Only put on some lipstick and a pair of slacks.

Only Baba, what a classy dame.

No comments: